Good news! The African Keyboard app (for Android phones), which is available for free on the Google Play store, now includes our Massalit alphabet letters!
Here is how to get and use it:
- Download the app from the Google Play store: Click here OR open the Google Play store and search for “African Keyboard”.
- Install the app on your phone.
- Go to your phone Settings to enable the keyboard:
> Languages and Input
> Keyboards & Input Methods
> Current Keyboards
> Choose Keyboards.
Turn on the African Keyboard.
- Go back to Language & Input. Under “Keyboard & Input Methods”, you should now see “African Keyboard” listed. Tap on “African Keyboard” and tap on “Character Set“. Choose “National Alphabet of Chad“.
- Now you can go to any other app, such as WhatsApp or Facebook or Messenger, and when you type, tap the Globe icon to switch between keyboards.
- Use the African Keyboard to type in Massalit:
- To get any of the characters/numbers in blue (e.g. ŋ or 1), press a bit longer than usual.
- To get the accents, just tap the letter first and then tap the accent (e.g. a and ̂ to get â)
- To type the n̰, tap the n first and then tap 2 times on the 7.
Thank you to Dominik and Kobi for your help on this!
For more information and instructions in English or in French, see Dominik’s Web site.